Friday, March 13, 2015

Hot Seat Oil Box

So the oils box will replace the typical 'cafe racer' cowl, which would lead one to believe thats gonna be a mighty hot seat. But i will have about 1/2" of space between the seat and the oil box that should allow enough heat to dissipate before toasting my bum. 


Within the hollow spot between the seat and the oil tank ill run some hidden hard lines, out and under the seat.


just showing off some welds. Before this build I hadn't touched a TIG welder for over 8 years. ITs coming back to me.

Starting to build up the side walls, and getting a sense of the shape.
I added in this 'mouse trap' within the oil tank, so when I'm ripping mile long wheelies or putting my right knee down for an obnoxiously long turn i will be less likely to starve the motor of oil.

Every box needs a top. I scavenged the screw top from a previously failed attempt at making an oil box from last year. (i was using a gas-less mig welder from harbor freight on that one, it was zero fun) As you can see form this photo, I need to remove this frame support so the tank can sit correctly. I will have to add a new support in inch or two back, and then i can remove this one. which would allow the tank to sit properly.

Here is a rough look at how the tank will sit. Its a bit cockeyed due to the existing frame support that i still need to remove.

The seat may have to lose 1/4" to sit just right. It still needs some rubber feet and a proper mounting point.

No comments:

Post a Comment