Thursday, January 10, 2013

Lets take a look at what I'm working with: part 2

After popping on the new shocks I started pulling a lot off. Silly order I know. But I got a deal that was to good to pass up on the shocks.

The seat is falling apart at the pan. It looks like its had a long life on this bike. Almost a shame to separate them, but this ain't a love story about a seat and the machine.

The fender was pretty worn and crack at nearly every mounting point. Not to worry. I planned on tossing it anyway.


The frame under the seat was the next thing to be noticed. It looks like the busted up seat pan has been chipping away at the subframe for a awhile now. Nothing a wire wheel and fresh paint can't fix though.



















































Off with the tank. This will sadly also not make it back on the ironhead. Planning on keeping it around as a test piece. Wether it be for painting or cutting and welding. I keep it around for a bit. Who knows maybe ill surprise myself and do a good job on the first test and then I will pop it back on. Doubtful though. I know my skill and its as rusty as the bolts holding this machine together.

I started to carefully remove the headlight assembly but ended up saying fuck it. I'm rewiring this rats nest anyway and the promptly busted out the snippers. It came off quick. Soon followed the switches. None of that can stay, as I plan on using 7/8" bars. Because contrary to popular belief, bigger is not always better.
































Looks like I'll need a newer triple tree top.




Here is where the day ended. A rather naked machine



This ironhead looks like it was ridden to hell and back, luckily it stole a bit of hell fire and stored it in its engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment